School History

Methodist College was the first established of eight secondary schools of the Chinese Methodist Church (now named the Methodist Church, Hong Kong). A group of church leaders conceived the idea of building a secondary school way back in the early 1950's to provide continued education for the graduates of Methodist School, which was opened in 1951. After putting a great deal of effort into the planning and fund-raising, a school building with only 12 classrooms was completed in 1958. The first school year commenced in September 1958 with an enrolment of 312 students in 8 classes ranging from Form 1 to Form 4.

 

There were 12 members on the teaching staff under the leadership of our first principal, Mr. Lee Lin Chi. The original planners envisaged a small, well-equipped and cosy school that would form a closely-knit community in which both teachers and students knew each other well.


The College was accorded status as a grant school from the very beginning. This placed the College on equal footing with some of the most established schools in Hong Kong. The College was officially opened on 1st November, 1958 by the then Governor of Hong Kong, Sir Robert Black, K.C.M.G. Since 1959, the 1st of November has been observed as our Founders' Day. Our annual Speech Day has been traditionally held on the same day until recent years. Founders’ Day is now celebrated on the first Saturday of November.  It is usually a whole-day event with stall games and ball games in the morning, a thanksgiving service in the afternoon and an alumni dinner in the evening.

 

Our first class of Form 5 students took the Hong Kong School Leaving Certificate Examination in May, 1960 and our first Lower Form 6 began in September of the same year.

With large demands for school places in the territory, enrolment at the College soared over the years.  The range of extra-curricular activities widened. Many clubs and societies were formed. Our Students’ Union, known to be the first in Hong Kong schools formed by open election by students, came into being and was inaugurated on April 4, 1960 with Lam Kiu Sum, a Form 5 student, as the first president. The Student Christian Fellowship also gradually assumed its present structure. The first school magazine of the College was published in 1961. On the cover is the familiar picture of John Wesley, the founder of Methodism, on horseback. The magazine was also given the name "Wesley" which sums up the spirit of the school. As the school expanded over the years, there was the need for additional classrooms. An annex, which is now our North Wing, was subsequently built adjacent to the basketball court. This became ready for occupation in September, 1963. The annex provided the College with 5 additional standard-sized classrooms which were bright and airy.

The College operated 19 classes with 3 streams (with class names Blue, Red and White) in each form from Form 1 to Form 5 and 2 each in Lower and Upper Form 6 until September, 1976. As a result of the government's expansion policy of secondary education, the College began to take in an additional stream in Form 1 (with the class name Green). Over the next 5 years, the College gradually expanded to its maximum enrolment of over 900 students in 26 classes with 4 streams from Form 1 to Form 5 and 3 streams in Form 6 and Form 7. After full transition to the 3-3-4 New Academic Structure in 2012, the College runs on 4 streams from Form 1 up to Form 6, with a total of 24 classes.

To alleviate the effects of traffic noise, the College installed air-conditioners in some classrooms and special rooms with funds raised by our Silver Jubilee Fund-Raising Campaign in 1983. The number of air-conditioned rooms increased gradually as more funds became available. Now all classrooms and special rooms are air-conditioned. The Lower Hall is also air-conditioned thanks to funds donated by students, parents and alumni in 1996.


To accommodate the additional classes, the library and the geography room were relocated while some rooms were re-constructed in 1987 and 1994. To meet the new demands of the education reforms, the facilities and technology of the school are improved continuously.


Into the new millennium, the College experienced rapid expansion in space. With the School Improvement Project (SIP) of the government, a new extension, now our South Wing, was built on top of the previous

football field. Though much delayed, the project was completed in October, 2005, providing three classrooms and special rooms, as well as a spacious Student Activity Centre. From 2002 to 2014, the College was given short-term tenancy to use certain parts of the vacated campus of the previous Grantham College of Education at 42 Gascoigne Road.  It was with great reluctance that the site was handed back in 2014.  Luckily, in 2011, with the relocation of Methodist School to its brand new campus on Wylie Road, the College gained occupancy of its SIP Block, which became our East Wing with 6 classrooms, one brand new Computer Room, 3 split-class teaching rooms and one Student Learning Commons. Senior classes were moved to the East Wing, which released space on the second floor of the Main Building to house a brand new multi-purpose area, where students enjoy meals and share the fun of school life together as when the school was first built in 1958. To catch up with the technological demands of the digital era, wireless internet access is now available throughout the whole campus.

 

Emphasizing all-rounded whole person education, the College has been offering a broad curriculum.  While strong emphasis is given to languages, liberal arts and the sciences, practical ‘life skills’ subjects like Home Economics is offered in junior forms, whereas a broad range of elective subjects including Applied Learning and Other Languages is provided in senior forms.  English has been adopted as the major teaching medium right from the start.

 

The Incorporated Management Committee of Methodist College was formed in August 2013.

The College implements the mission of the Methodist Church: Christ-centered whole person education. We emphasize growth and a quest for excellence in all six domains: spiritual, moral, academic, physical, social and aesthetic. We proudly celebrated our Golden Jubilee in the year 2008-2009 with the theme “Transformation and Renewal”, which featured a Yau Ma Tei Project that raised our students’ concern of the community around us, as well as an English Musical We Are All in This Together, which chronicled the decades that the College has gone through alongside with the growth of the Hong Kong society, and was produced with the joint effort of alumni, teachers and students.  In the year 2013-2014, we celebrated our 55th anniversary with a publication, Glistening 55, featuring the achievements of 55 outstanding alumni, and a Milestone 55 – Concert and Musical spectacular. The excellent performances of our students won high acclaim from all fronts, with the thriving spirit of the College felt and much strengthened through these activities which were enjoyed by all.



Our Principals:
Mr. Lee Lin Chi李連枝校長1958-1965
Mr. Watt Hoi Kee屈海圻校長1965-1973
Rev. Man Kwok Wai文國偉牧師1973-1980
Miss Sito Suk Han Helena司徒淑嫻校長1980-1994
Mr. Kan Ki Leung簡祺亮校長1994-2005
Miss Pang Shuk Mei彭淑美校長2005-2008
Miss Wong Pui Yi Emily黃珮儀校長2008-present